Friday, September 11, 2015

The NeverEnding Theory: Time Travel

*If I went to the future I don't think I'd meet myself because my present self didn't stick around to turn into my future self...I left...for the future. Unless I went back to the present, which means I might be able to meet my future self if I traveled ahead a second time. Would I, though? Because I'd just have left the present again. And how would it ever be certain that I'd always return to the present? I might, during one of my future visits, decide to stay there, effectively erasing all that might have happened between the time I left for the future and the time I might have returned to the present. So no matter how many times I traveled from the present to the future and back, my future self still may or may not be the person who just barely traveled to the future from the present.

On the other hand, going back in time to meet my past self makes much more sense. Or does it? If, in my past, I had already met myself, it seems it would be unnecessary to, in the present, go back and meet myself again. Because it wouldn't be happening "again" it would be the exact same event happening exactly the same way. And I can't change something that happened in the past. Unless the past is also my present, in which case I might decide not to go back and meet myself. But if I decide that, what happens to my present self? The moment I decide to stay in the present, I've somehow changed the past. Even if I decide to stay then immediately changed my mind, I've already become a future version of the person who originally traveled to the past.

Everything I do, starting in the present, becomes my future. If I travel back in time, that would make my present self and my future self the same person, even though I'm now in the past. So if my present self decided to travel to the future AND the past at exactly the same time, it wouldn't matter. I'd end up in the past, which became my future the moment I decided to go there. [continued at *]




I could have written a lot more, but I'll spare you.

If you wanted proof that I'm losing my mind, there it is. Please help.

2 comments: