Monday, July 1, 2013

Grandpa

My grandfather, Clesse Hilton, was an amazing man.  He passed away last Thursday and I'll miss him but I'm glad he finally feels better.  He's a man of integrity and character and the perfect example of a perfect example.  Also, he's funny and hardworking and faithful and he looked like a movie star:


 

Father's Day was the last time I got to talk to my grandpa, and he told I was beautiful and gave me a kiss on the cheek.  It meant a lot to me then and it means even more now.











When the earth is covered with a blanket of pure white and much of nature is dormant, when the pace of human activity slows and a warm hearth and a good book make being inside very enjoyable, when the short days are too long and the long nights are too short, then I think Winter is the most beautiful season of the year.

When white turns to brown and brown turns to green, when seeds again promise new beauty, new food and continuity of life, when all of nature revives and shakes off the lethargy of winter, then I think Spring is the most beautiful time of year.

When windows stay open around the clock, when a cool breeze is longed for, when the road to everywhere beckons, when perspiration is socially acceptable, when rain refreshes and lightning illuminates and thunder booms, then I think Summer is the most enjoyable time of year.

When green turns brown and yellow and red and gold, when barns and bins and bottles are full and when seeds are saved, when the first fingers of frost touch mine, when six-year-olds excitedly run to school, eager to learn, when preparation ends and performance begins, when all is in readiness, then I think Fall is the most enjoyable time of the year.

Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall ---


 Written by Clesse Hilton circa 1989 (on the back of the Sept. 1988 page of the Kaysville 13th ward calendar). 







I love you, Grandpa!


No comments:

Post a Comment